On my walk last weekend, I happened upon yet another Praying Mantis. How awesome! I took my time and captured his photo from several angles.
As I reviewed the images it got me to thinking. Someone, long ago, gave him the name Praying Mantis, and over the years it has stuck.
Prayer, we hear the word frequently. I looked up the meaning of the word on www.dictionary.com and this is what I found:
- a devout petition to God or an object of worship.
- a spiritual communion with God or an object of worship, as in supplication, thanksgiving, adoration, or confession.
- the act or practice of praying to God or an object of worship.
- a formula or sequence of words used in or appointed for praying:the Lord’s Prayer.
- prayers, a religious observance, either public or private, consisting wholly or mainly of prayer.
- that which is prayed for.
- a petition; entreaty.
- the section of a bill in equity, or of a petition, that sets forth the complaint or the action desired.
- a negligible hope or chance:Do you think he has a prayer of getting that job?
Often we will hear the word prayer mentioned during a disaster, or a troubling time. It will be requested of us to pray for a particular situation, or people in need. Quite often the term will come up or be overheard on a daily basis.
According to the Pew Research Center, 45% of Americans say they rely a lot on prayer and personal religious reflection when making major life decisions. Their research survey conducted in 2014 revealed that 55% of Americans pray every day. Even among those who have no religious affiliation, 20% say they pray daily.
This tiny creature appears to be praying. I believe animals have a connection to God. Communications with animals are mentioned in the Bible. All beings were made by God. And someday all creatures will worship God.
As a nation we even have a National Day of Prayer.
Prayer can bring peace and calm. Prayer can help reduce stress and anxiety. Prayer can bring hope and trust in the future. Prayer can be silent, prayer can be individual, and prayer can be shared.
And yes, I pray every day.
So I wonder, do you pray?
Prayer is talking with God. God knows your heart and is not so concerned with your words as He is with the attitude of your heart.