Simplicity

This week’s Lens-Artist Photo Challenge: Simplicity

How are we seeing and feeling the meaning of simplicity during these very unusual times?

I believe I have always found joy in simple things.
Some of my favorite things in life…

• Reading a great book at home with the doors open and the birds chattering in the back yard
  • An enjoyable meal anywhere outdoors in warm weather
  • A drive along the beach (ok, anything around a beach 🌴)
  • A great heart warming movie with someone I love
  • Organizing my home so everything is easy to access
  • Vacations! And although vacations aren’t always simple, I plan ahead so that when we are on vacation, we can enjoy every moment with minimal stress
  • And finally I love to walk!Β  On the weekends I walk Saturday morning (and right now I’m also walking Sundays).Β  And, because the gym is closed, I’m walking every evening with my husband.Β  Very simple, very therapeutic!

Therefore, for this post on Simplicity I’m including a few photos from my walks this weekend.Β  I discovered a new wildlife preserve, three miles down the road.Β  It is still being created, but it is beautiful (see a previous post here).Β  Walking in the new area, camera in hand, I discover new beauty every time.Β  A very simple activity that brings me so much joy.

πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

IMG_7156
This is a very old bench.Β  The “lake” used to be in the area in front of the old bench.Β  In the future there will be again.Β  For now it’s a cleared area as they prepare to line the water areas before water is added. In the past, the water would come in from the wash that is on the other side.
IMG_7126-2
This young dove was just sitting there, and didn’t seem to mind at all that I was snapping his photo.Β  Perhaps he enjoyed the company 😊
IMG_7245 (2)
This was a huge black bee!Β  A carpenter bee, called such because nearly all species burrow into hard plant materials such as wood or bamboo.Β  I had a very hard time capturing him because of how fast he buzzed around.
IMG_7224 (2)
I can’t seem to determine what bee this is.Β  He had white lines and yellow/green eyes.
IMG_7107 (2)
I believe this is the same type bee as the one above.Β  They seem to hover more than the yellow bees.
IMG_7174 (2)
This little guy looks like a Skipper to me.

IMG_7118 (2)
This appears to be a variety of Chia plants.
IMG_7095
This is a Camphor Weed, part of the sunflower family.Β  They are all over the place here.

πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

“The consumption society has made us feel that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the happiness of not having things.”
~ Elise M. Boulding

“He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home.”
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

1. pattimoed says:

Beautiful images and thoughts, Lisa. I loved the bright colors of the chia plant and camphor weed–which doesn’t look like a weed! I think you’re right. We’re rediscovering the simple pleasures and nature is happy for the respite from our high consumption. Thanks for joining us this week!

1. Thank you Patti! This subject is right down my alley πŸ™‚

“The happiness of not having things” – what a beautiful thought Lisa! As are your images. I look forward to seeing how things look when the lake comes in!

1. Thank you Tina! That’s a great quote, isn’t it? And I am looking forward to the lake as well. This morning I thought it is actually nice that I will get to see the progress in future months. The wildlife preserve is over 100 acres!

beautiful thoughts and images, Lisa! we have a beautiful world! love the quotes, too. thank you πŸ™‚

1. Thank you Lola! and yes we do!! 🌎

4. JohnRH says:

Great photos, great quotes (Boulding). Love the bench, love the bees. They just don’t sit still!

1. Thank you John! I love bees, but I’m seeing different kinds out there lately. I think I found one sleeping in a flower, but I’m not quite sure πŸ™‚

I love this series. The beauty of nature is comforting. The last image is my favorite.

1. Thank you Amy! The colors of the flowers just blended so well 😊

6. bushboy says:

Lovely images Lisa πŸ™‚

7. I love your photos and the list. I love many of the items on your list as well

1. Thank you Nora! 😊

What a lovely and peaceful spot for a bench. Beautiful flowers, and I really like the photo of the bee that appears to be hovering…how did you manage to show the movement of his wings? Amazing!

1. Thank you!! πŸ™‚

9. Beautiful. Have a great night.