From the family of Silky Flycatchers: Phainopepla

This amazing bird landed ahead of me as I walked along the wetland trail yesterday. My MO is to snap away and determine what it is later. But I was so curious about this bird. I have never seen a bird like this that I remember. Maybe I am more observant than I have been in the past, noticing what I have not paid attention to before.

This phainopepla , or northern phainopepla is the most northern representative of the mainly tropical Central American family Ptiliogonatidae, the silky flycatchers. Its name is from the Greek phain pepla meaning “shining robe” in reference to the male’s plumage. (thank you Wikipedia)

He was so fascinating, as he would fly off, then flutter around and back down in the same, or nearly same, location.

According to audubon.org:
“In the desert southwest, Phainopeplas and mistletoe rely on each other. Phainopeplas feed heavily on berries of this parasitic plant; after the berries pass through the bird’s digestive tract, the seeds often stick to branches of mesquite or other trees, where they can sprout new mistletoe clumps.”

I decided to post this for Cee’s “Birds of all kinds” challenge. This is certainly a unique bird and I feel blessed to be able to spend a few moments of time with him out in nature yesterday.

🀎🀎🀎🀎🀎🀎🀎

“Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.”
~ Douglas Coupland

What a cool looking bird!

1. Thank you! His amazing red eyes are fascinating! 😊

2. I love that red eye, Lisa! Great photos!!

1. Thank you Donna! Yes the red eyes are very cool!!

I love his punk hair-do!

1. I know!! Thank you Sarah! 😊

4. Cee Neuner says:

I really like these photos you have put on display. Fantastic photography πŸ˜€

This bird is so elegant! If it’s a female, I’d say she looks all dressed up for a very fancy party.

1. Thank you! I’m guessing this is the male, but his feathers are so fascinating!

6. Cee Neuner says:

Congratulations! I have chosen your post to be featured on CFFC.

CFFC: Rusty or Decayed

I hope your week is off to a great start.

1. Wow! Thank you so much Cee!! 😊

7. Resa says:

This is a spectacular bird, and so are your photos of it.
    All your photos I saw here today, and over at Frank’s Beachwalk are wonderful. Thank you!

1. Thank you so much Resa! That bird was a treat to see last weekend! 😊

8. Marsha says:

I love his red eyes, Lisa. He’s probably been out hunting and spreading mistletoe and staying up too late. Your photography is amazing.

1. Marsha, that made me smile! Thank you! 😊

1. Marsha says:

The bird with his red eyes made me smile. Great photos, Lisa. πŸ™‚

9. That is a beautiful bird!

1. Thank you Nora! He’s new to me, and very different!

10. restlessjo says:

He looks so alert and ready for action with those bright eyes of his. You’ve captured him perfectly, Lisa πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

1. Thank you so much! He was such a joy to watch!! And yes, what amazing eyes!