Recent Bird Photos

Lisa Coleman’s Bird Weekly- Photo Challenge for this week is birds we’ve seen in the past two weeks.

I’ve got a few bird photos I’d love to post and I think this is the perfect opportunity. Although I’ve still been getting out there, I’ve been a bit sluggish as I recuperate from recent dental surgery. All is well, but it zapped some of my energy.

The feature photo is a female Vermillion Fly Catcher. I see the little red fellow out and about, but I don’t believe I’ve actually identified the beautiful little female. It made me happy 😊

Below are a few favorites from the past two weeks. Perhaps because it is springtime I have identified several new birds!

This is a photo I captured of the male Great-tailed Grackle.
This one is a Yellow-rumped Warbler (I just love his name 😊)
This little Ruddy Duck made me laugh as he struts around in front of the lady ducks! 💙
He’s on a mission!
This one is new-to-me: American Bittern
This is a Song Sparrow (new-to-me)
This cute little guy is a Lincoln Sparrow (another new-to-me)
This bird I saw today. I don’t think I’ve seen one here before. A Great Egret

“As long as I live, I’ll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing.” ~ John Muir

Lots of super bird photos! The Ruddy Duck made me smile but my favourite is the Grackle – such great timing for that shot 😀

1. Thank you Sarah! I’m working at getting better with birds in flight. That is not an easy task!!

2. Alice says:

Love these! I also love the name of the Yellow-rumped Warbler, it’s so funny! God’s creation is so amazing, all the different things and colors He has created.

1. Thank you 😊 I have never looked so closely to birds, they are so darn cute!

I also liked the ruddy duck. Such characters! Nice yellow rump too.

1. Thank you! We can see personalities in the birds, can’t we?! So cute they are!

4. Lisa Coleman says:

What awesome birds you have seen the past two weeks and new ones for your list! That is always a treat! The grackles have been quite aggressive of late here, but they always are no matter what season it is, especially if you have a picnic lunch. LOL! The Egret is a breeding adult Great Egret. Love the Ruddy Ducks – “Just a Gigolo” came to mind! hehehe. I love your American Bittern shot. I’ve only seen this bird twice and the second time I was so close but didn’t have my camera in hand. By the time I got back to the car, he flew. Bummer for me! 🙂 Hope you feeling better after dental surgery. That is never fun and takes a bit to heal. 🙂

1. Thank you Lisa! Yes I am finally feeling on the mend. Didn’t stop me from taking photos 😊 I am almost to a year since I discovered my bird walk locations. I think I’m more experienced now and I see more. Love finding new birds!

1. Lisa Coleman says:

Happy to hear you are feeling better. You are more experienced than you were last year. You will get even more experienced each and every year. The ID mistakes I made in my first couple of years makes me laugh after 8 years of birding. 🙂 I still misidentify some of the harder birds. But if I can get a photo and get to my book when I get home, I can hone in and identify them correctly. 🙂

Well done Lisa! Your timing on that grackle was superb – that’s a great image. I also loved the bright blue bill on your little Ruddy Duck. Is that just in mating season??

1. Thank you Tina! I never heard of bill colors changing until I read Lisa Coleman’s recent post. A quick search and yes! The Ruddy Duck bill is blue in summer (breeding season)! Now I know 😊

6. Delightful photos…and good luck with the dental surgery recovery too. 🙂

1. Thank you! I think I’m on the mend now. Had unexpected bone graft when getting an implant. Surprisingly painful!

1. So sorry to heart this. I am not an implant candidate but am scheduled for dental surgery next month. Hopefully it will go well…

2. I do wish you the best! Dental work is no fun! But I am very grateful for my dentist 😊

3. I’ve learned over the years how critical it is to have quality healthcare professionals you can trust, and preferable treat you as team work. 🙂 I haven’t been to this person before but had a ***** recommendation so am crossing my fingers (and praying) too. 🙂

7. V.J. Knutson says:

More great captures. Always look forward to your bird shots.

1. Awwww, thank you so much! I keep surprising myself when I discover new birds!

1. V.J. Knutson says:

You are better than me. I get so excited, the photos never work out, lol.

8. I love your crackle too, Lisa. It has such personality. My other favourite is the bittern. We hardly ever get the opportunity to see a bittern here as they are such shy birds.

1. Thank you Tracy! …I had not seen the bittern before but another visitor said he sees him around. Now I will look for him!

9. kewtiebird says:

Love those ducks with the blue bills! Thanks for sharing.

1. Isn’t he cute? 🙂 Thank you!

10. You have some awesome captures here! the grackle is my favourite…

1. Thank you! I really liked him too!!