The cutest hummingbird πŸ’™

Yesterday as I was leaving the nature gardens, I saw this hummingbird. I hung out and observed him for a while and eventually he perched himself on a cactus and started preening. It was one of the cutest things I have ever seen. πŸ’™πŸ˜Š

I found an article at www.journeynorth.org, that talks about the preening process:

“Birds preen to clean and oil their feathers and remove parasites. Hummingbirds have fewer feathers than other birds, but even a tiny Ruby-throated hummer has about 940 feathers to keep clean and properly aligned for aerodynamic flight.

To preen a hummer first ruffles its feathers, fluffing out. Then uses its long bill to nibble along each feather. The nibbling removes oil, dirt, and parasites. As it nibbles, the bird takes tiny droplets of fresh oil from a gland at the base of its tail and works the oil into its feathers. Next, it thoroughly cleans its flight feathers, running each wing feather through its bill. This action zips or closes the places where feather barbs have separated, restoring each feather’s smooth surface. Then, the hummer uses its tiny claws to scratch hard-to-reach places, such as the back of its head and neck. It also cleans its bill from base to tip, using claws and nearby branches to wipe off sticky nectar. When done, the hummer ruffles its feathers so they all fall neatly into place, stretches each wing, lowers its head, fans its tail, and takes off!”

Below are a few of my favorite photos:

“Quick as a hummingbird…she darts so eagerly, swiftly, sweetly dipping into the flowers of my heart.”
-James Oppenheim

She is so cute, Lisa!

1. Thank you! Something I haven’t seen before 😊

1. Thank you!! 😊

2. restlessjo says:

Fantastic captures, Lisa!

1. Thank you so much, Jo!

3. Alice says:

Wow, how fascinating! And just like us, the birds are fearfully and wonderfully made! That was so interesting about how they preen themselves.

1. Thank you!! I had to look it up and learn more. See, I’m learning along the way 😊

4. VJ says:

These are amazing shots. Such detail.

1. Thank you VJ! It would have been great to get a video, but I’m not real skilled on that. But he was fun to watch!!

1. VJ says:

You’re welcome. I wouldn’t have been able to do a video either.

5. Jeff Flesch says:

How beautiful, and educational. Lovely post, Lisa.

1. Thank you Nora! 😊

1. Thank you, I thought so too! 😊

2. I’d just never seen them do this before!

6. These are special, Lisa, what a wonderful encounter! ❀️

1. It was! Thank you, Donna!

What fantastic photos, Lisa! They are just adorable.

1. Thank you! He is a cutie!!

8. Wind Kisses says:

oh gosh, I am in love. Thank goodness for the gift of time. Very special. Donna

1. Thank you, Donna! I love him πŸ₯°

9. Cute and beautiful Hummingbird. You captured it so magnificent. I can feel the adventure and excitement in the photos and words. Happy weekend.

1. Thank you! He was fun to just watch 😊

10. Pepper says:

Adorable! Images worth waiting for. πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

1. Thank you, Pepper!!

11. Spectacular little creature and your photos are too.

1. Thank you, Tracy!