Lens Artists challenge: My Photography Journey

This week Amy challenges us here to post on our journey with photography.

I have always loved taking pictures. Oh the hundreds and hundreds of photos I trashed when decluttering as I would review the zoo trips, parks and nature outings of my youth. How things have changed! I finally gave up film cameras and the variety of disposable cameras around 2006. That was life changing!

My small cannon pocket camera took some amazing photos of the tropical places we have visited during the past several years of our marriage. I upgraded to the newest version of the cannon pocket camera back in 2012. The camera would go everywhere with me in my waist pack and small cross body bags. From beaches, to hiking, to Disneyland and Disneyworld.

Ironically I think it was blogging that had me rethinking my camera situation. A friend suggested I start a blog because I loved to share health and nutrition information, along with financial tips as a budget coach. However, after my blog finally became a reality, it opened my eyes to the world of photography. Oh the beautiful and amazing photos my blog friends post! That is where my heart was, and I decided to go for it. I searched for the best camera under $1000.00. I discovered my Cannon Rebel T7i and fell in love.

I will admit, I have no patience. My tendency is to learn as I go, and as a last resort, read the instructions. However, I did take three short classes from a local photographer. I learned just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to fully understand. Therefore, I am continuing to work on learning more of what my camera really can do. And I will confess, I use the auto setting a majority of the time. I did subscribe to Photoshop and Lightroom and discovered even more to learn!

I have added a zoom lens, a macro lens, and a super zoom lens to my collection. However, that super zoom lens is a major project in the works.

So, with another vacation on the horizon to Utah parks, I must commit to learning a few more camera tricks of the trade.

Below are a few of my photos showcasing then and now…

One of my favorite photos ever, taken in 2008 off the back of our cruise ship. In Antigua BVI (slightly edited in LR)
Savannah GA, 2007 One of the most magical trips ever! These photos were the first digital photos that I was able to get as they developed and saved to disk.
This made me laugh! I don’t remember this one. This was in a group of photos from Sea World in San Diego, back in 2007. What the heck is this? He looks like my Snowy Egret with a bad case of static electricity!
Many many photos of Shamu (and his sea friends)
One more funny bird photo (a heron?) from San Diego Wild Animal Park in 2006.
Forsyth Park
I’ve always liked taking photos of birds 😊
San Diego in 2006, one of hundreds of beach photos
And then somewhere along the way I started taking the sunset photos. This one taken in Destin FL in 2016. I do love my sunset photos!

📷📷📷📷📷📷📷📷📷📷

Below are a few beach photos that were taken right after I got my new camera. Thanks to my cousin who is a skilled photographer, I learned how to capture some amazing wave photos on the beach in Depoe Bay, Oregon. I learned a lot on that trip, some of it by accident. For example, if you have a clean windshield you can take some cool road trip photos out the front window! It made me realize I could do more with photography if I will just step out at give it a try.

Finally, once I started playing with my macro lens, I realized how amazing macro photos are. I love flowers, of course, but I also love insects. I’ve posted many dragonfly photos, and even created a page just for the species I have discovered this past year. Below are just a few macro photos. I especially love bees!

“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” ~ Mark Twain

“A lot of photographers think that if they buy a better camera they’ll be able to take better photographs. A better camera won’t do a thing for you if you don’t have anything in your head or in your heart.” ~ Arnold Newman

1. Prior... says:

enjoyed seeing your work large and small and coast to coast
    – and it truly is interesting to see how the ocean changes in different areas (and destin is special to me and live the many birds you captured in that sunset)
    and this part of the quote was so good:

1. I appreciate the comments! I really enjoy looking through quotes, sometimes they have such a great message. …a note on Destin: We loved the area. When planning our road trip last October, I purposely found beaches in the area to visit (Orange Beach and Panama City Beach). I hope I can go back!

1. Prior... says:

oh hearing those names made me imagine the destine sunrise !
        my step daughter is an hour from that area and so “have” to go there at least once a year!

2. Oh how nice that is!! 🌴

3. Prior... says:

and no more of me for a while -! ha sorry a big dose of priorhouse – lol

4. That’s the fun of blogging!

2. Leya says:

A great collection of images – and your journey made me smile. Interesting how you found out more and more how fun it is! Love your egret, or whatever it is – makes me smile even more. Your waves are incredible, and the macros – I love macros. Happy to hear you too love that world. A lovely journey, Lisa.

1. Thank you Leya! Can’t wait to see the next leg of my journey! 😊 –that bird is crazy! My husband thinks it’s the snowy egret in the wind 😁

Interesting to read your photography journey which is not so dissimilar from my own, although I ended up with a bridge camera rather than DSLR (I like the immediacy of not changing lenses and, I have to say, the lighter weight!) I love your wave and macro images, and that quote from Mark Twain 🙂

1. Thank you! I am kind of wondering when I’m going to drop my camera and break it. I actually stashed money aside for when that may happen! But so far so good. It can be heavy. But so much fun! And I still have my pocket camera if I need it. 🙂

4. Awesome collection of photos, Lisa! Photography isn’t for everyone, but for those of us with a camera in our hands that feels the adrenaline to capture the beauty we see before us is a delight and passion we love!! 😊

1. Yes we do! I just can’t get enough!

Thank you for sharing your journey, Lisa. I love your beautiful photo selections. The Antigua BVI image is breathtaking. I love your bird and bee captures. I am in awe with your sea waves images, especially the last one. These two milkweed photos are very special. 🙂

1. Thank you Amy! I am so grateful I got tips on those ocean waves. I was shocked that I could take photos like that! And my little pocket camera, it really has done well. I still have it. It takes better photos than my phone.

6. Everything has a history and personal history involve a journey. Many thanks for sharing yours, and I continue to marvel at what skilled photographers can do with their tool and craft. Well done, Lisa!

1. Thank you Frank! Yes, I see all the photography that others post, it inspires me!!

I especially love the ocean waves…and the bright flowers! And that fluffy bird with the static electricity was so cute.

1. Thank you! Isn’t that bird crazy? I need to figure out what he is 😊

8. Teresa says:

Beautiful photos, especially the macros!

1. Thank you Teresa! I do love discovering all the tiny details in the macro photos!

1. Teresa says:

Macros are exciting, you discover things that you may otherwise have missed!

9. JohnRH says:

A wonderful journey. I love your macros.

1. Thank you John! I love taking macro photos. I just can’t wait for some flowers to bloom for me to go find some tiny flowers and little bugs!

Oh I so love that Mark Twain quote – I may definitely have to steal it Lisa! Loved your journey and your images get better and better – good for you. Learning in small doses and incorporating new tricks is half the fun of photography. The other half is capturing and revisiting memories, both of which you’ve done beautifully. Thanks so much for sharing your journey – you’re pushing me to think about macros!

1. Thank you Tina! And you are more than welcome to the quote 😉 I really do love macros, but I’m waiting for some spring flowers to bloom around here. Bugs on flowers are very cool!