She’s known as the Painted Lady

Vanessa cardui, known as the Painted Lady, is also known as The Cosmopolitan in North American.

She has the strange habit of flying in a sort of screw shape, something I did not observe, as she chose to pose beautifully for me among the flowers.

Her names intrigue me, bringing to mind a lady of culture and sophistication.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci

1. aussiebirder says:

We have seen them here in Australia as the Australian Painted Lady Lisa but it varies slightly in its patterning.

1. I am just learning some of these since we had so many butterflies here this summer. It is so amazing to see so many butterflies outside here! (well, they are mostly gone now, but there are still some around)

2. Jeff Flesch says:

Stunning, Lisa; and the quote is on point. Great post.

1. Thank you Jeff! and thanks for appreciating the quote 😊

1. Jeff Flesch says:

You’re welcome, Lisa. Always! ☺️

What great butterfly shots! Yes, here in the UK we call her the Painted Lady – I think it suits her 🙂

1. Thank you Sarah! …I agree!

4. This is a beautiful little creature! Butterflies are some of the best.

1. Thank you, Pam! I loved the butterflies and moths this summer!!

what a beauty!

1. Thank you! The flowers are a good backdrop 😊

What beautiful colors this butterfly has. She has an appropriate name, as well.

1. She thanks you 😊